|Investigator and deuteragonist|
Kim Kitsuragi is a character in Disco Elysium.
Background[edit | edit source]
A bespectacled man in an orange bomber jacket, Kim Kitsuragi is a Criminal Investigation lieutenant in the Precinct 57 of the Revachol Citizens Militia and a Revacholian native of Seolite extraction (his grandfather and grandmother on opposite parental sides were from Seol), born in '08. He lost his parents at the age of 2, slaughtered in the wake of the Antecentennial Revolution. He was saved only by his young age.
Kitsuragi joined the RCM at 23, in '31, and became a juvenile police officer. He did not expect that he would be doing it for the next 15 years. By the time he hit 38, he was desperate to move out of the desk. His break came when he had to infiltrate a pinball ring. Although he detested the game and the jeers of his RCM peers, he focused on mastering it over the next nine months. He became a pinball champion, cracked the case, and was finally moved out of juvie to homicides and granted the rank of lieutenant.
His experiences in juvie led to two things: First, a form of PTSD related to juvenile delinquents that makes it difficult for him to interact with them. Second, his dislike of pinball grew into absolute hatred: He considers it a game that requires no skill, appealing to those with a childlike affinity to flashing lights. It also developed into an aversion to fantastique, science fiction, and historic romance franchises.
The RCM affected a Coupris Kineema motor carriage to him, as is standard procedure for detectives. After he was assigned as Harrier Du Bois' partner for the Hanged Man case, Kim tried to meet up with Harry for the next two days, finally succeeding on the third, after Harry's apocalyptic bender wound down.
On the surface, he couldn't be more different than Harry: He's an old school cop, conversing with himself not inside his head, but through the notebook he carries. He also avoids alcohol, permits him a single cigarette per day, and is very stingy about indulging vices.
Interactions[edit | edit source]
- Kim Kitsuragi is the deuteragonist of the game encountered on Day 1 at the Whirling-in-Rags. At the very first meeting, Esprit de Corps will chime in to establish that he's a man who would throw himself in harm's way for you, which is true: Kim is the foil to Harrier's antics, a sounding board, the straight man in a joke, and a highly capable detective in his own right. The first interaction sets the tone at first, and when Kim introduces himself, you can use Conceptualization (Medium 11) to come up with a normal name for you - *not* Raphael Costeau.
- Kim is an integral part of the investigation moving forward, and in fact, it's impossible to advance the story without his participation.
- Talking to Kim allows you to learn a variety of things about him. Pestering him about a secret is recommended, if only to witness his insane Authority skill, which is off the charts and allows him to control you with just a move of his eyebrow, making you his thrall. Fortunately, he only uses these powers for good.
- A interaction can be initiated after completing the thought Homo-Sexual Underground in which Kim reveals he is homo-sexual.
Behind the scenes[edit | edit source]
- Kim's last name, Kitsuragi, although not a proper Japanese last name (there is no corresponding kanjis), is a reference to Lt Colonel. Misato Katsuragi (葛城 ミサト), the commander of NERV's military forces in Neon Genesis Evangelion, who also has the rank of lieutenant.
Appearances[edit | edit source]
Notes and references[edit | edit source]
Notes[edit | edit source]
- ↑ Kitsuragi sometimes listened to Speedfreaks FM while driving.
References[edit | edit source]
- Dialogue with Joyce Messier